Health and Safety in the Workplace
In the words of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), ‘employers have a general duty under section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health safety and welfare of their employees at work’. As an employer or an employee, it’s crucial that you follow the guidelines and legislature so that you do as much as you can to ensure health and safety rules and regulations are followed. Sign up to this course and you will become familiar with some of the key concepts, and will be able to continue with your relevant training and skills to make the workplace a safer place.
Keep Training Up To Date
While employers will offer training to new staff at the beginning of their new role, which usually incorporates health and safety policies, it’s unlikely that the content of these training sessions will be remembered in months and years to come. Refresher courses and continual training are essential to ensure that health and safety practices are maintained and adhered to, so that the risk of accident or injury in the work environment is minimised as much as possible. While working through this course, you will learn more about what these risks are, and how you can ensure their prevention by adhering to the policies in place and following the correct procedures at all times.
Key Learning Points
The importance of health and safety is not industry-specific. Therefore, enrolment on this course would be appropriate for employees who work in a range of job roles, across a multitude of work environments, as well as employers and business owners who want to ensure the safest possible workplace.
- Appreciate the need for an employer or business owner to appoint a competent person, who boasts the relevant training and skills with regards to health and safety. As an appointed competent person, you will need to carry out risk assessments, and make decisions on how you can avoid accidents and injury in the workplace.
- Learn more about the compulsory employer’s liability insurance and the written health and safety policy which must be in place in a workplace if there are more than 5 employees working there.
- Gain insight into various security policies and procedures, which can help safeguard and protect yourself, your colleagues and visitors to your workplace.
- Explore the responsibilities of both employer and employee with regards to health and safety.
- Identify the roles of risk assessments in the workplace, how to carry them out and how to follow up on risks identified. Learn how to control risks in order to keep them at a minimum.
- Learn how to identify various slip and trip hazards in your work environment, and how to deal with them effectively.
- Delve a little into first aid and fire safety to ensure your workplace is healthy and safe.
- Gain insight into accident and incident reporting, including RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrence Regulations 2013)
- Learn more about the legislation for health and safety at work, and the role of the HSE.
- Identify Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that is available for the workplace, and its uses.
Advantages of this course
- Presentations that will assist students in a visual way, to recognise the importance of risk assessment, health and safety and employer/employee responsibilities within the work environment.
- Range of good practice examples to demonstrate how best to implement health and safety concepts in the workplace.
- Downloadable activity sheets, filled with various tasks, available to help students reflect on their knowledge and assist in the learning process. These do not count towards the final mark.
- Independent reading and extended learning also available to expand your knowledge further, including safety signs, legislations and the Employment Rights Act 1996.
- Simple 10-question multiple choice assessment to complete the module.
- Study online as and when it suits you; course delivery is convenient, easy to navigate and available 24/7.
- If you have issues using the courseware, technical support is available to help.
- Keep up to speed with your health and safety training and improve your competence and capability within your profession!
Understanding Health and Safety in the Workplace is a crucial aspect of any job role – make sure you’ve got it covered by signing up today!
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above
CompatibilityWindows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android