ICB Affiliate - Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping (Course) (B1, B2, B3)
Discover the fundamental principles of single and double entry bookkeeping, and learn practical skills that can be applied to any business that uses either a manual or a computerised bookkeeping system. No prior knowledge or training is necessary. However, students should ideally possess a basic understanding of numeracy in order to fully benefit from the course syllabus, and maximise their chances of gaining the Level II Certificate.
This course is ideally suited to:
- Employees who work in the accounting department of a business/company/organisation.
- Small business owners who are responsible for their own accountancy/bookkeeping.
- Employees who wish to embark on a new career path as an Assistant Bookkeeper.
- Students who wish to learn a new set of skills, enhance their existing knowledge base and boost their current career prospects.
The course consists of 3 online assessments that test students' grasp of theoretical knowledge, as well as their level of practical bookkeeping skills. Students can access these assessments online (as well as a whole host of other innovating educational features), so they can choose to learn either at home or in the workplace.
Students who successfully complete the 3 assessments gain the Level II Certificate in Bookkeeping, which allows them to work in the role of Assistant Bookkeeper and qualifies them to perform the following duties while under supervision:
- Create an efficient and effective computerised bookkeeping system within their place of work.
- Apply postings from prime entry books and source documents to ledger accounts.
- Keep records of all transactions that take place in their place of work to the appropriate industry standard.
- Online course – study on your laptop, tablet or phone.
- Full version of Sage Instant Accounts.
- One year’s student membership to the ICB.
- Tutor Support.
- Practice assignments.
- Mock Exam.
- Interest free payments available.
- NUS Extra Card available (for small additional fee).
KEY LEARNING POINTS
The main focus areas of this course include:
- Learn why it is so important to adhere to a professional code of ethics.
- Explore the different structures of various types of businesses.
- Discover bookkeeping legislation and learn how to apply this in a workplace context.
- Learn what elements need to be included in order to create a legal contract.
- Discover the accounting equation and learn how this applies in a workplace setting.
- Gain knowledge of how to report on a cash basis for income tax purposes.
- Understand the concept of business entity, duality and historical cost and learn how this is applied in a business context.
Upon successful completion of this Level II course students are able to:
- Understand basic banking principles and procedures including the need for adequate security measures
- Recognise, and know the purpose of, a range of commonly used business documents.
- Understand the purpose of, and make entries into, business ledgers and accounts.
- Know the process, and carry out the task, of accounting for VAT in business ledgers.
- Know the differences between a two and three-column cash book, an analysed cash book and a petty cash book, and understand how they are used in a workplace/business context.
- Understand the purpose, and correct use, of a trial balance.
- Recognise when it is appropriate to open a suspense account.
- Set up a computerised bookkeeping system to the appropriate industry standard.
- Print out accounting and bookkeeping reports, including trial balances, nominal account transactions and audit trails.
NOTE: This course includes Sage Instant Accounts software which will be delivered 14 days after course activation. The courses we offer which include Sage software must require a windows based laptop/PC. The course will play on any device, however, you will not be able to complete the course without access to the software.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Gain theoretical knowledge of bookkeeping and learn practical skills that can be applied within almost any kind of business, and across a broad range of sectors and industries.
- Students can complete the course syllabus and access the 3 online assessments either at home or in the workplace.
- This flexible and accessible course is broken into manageable and digestible chunks to ensure that students fully grasp each part of the course syllabus.
- Students can tailor the course to fit their schedule, and complete the syllabus at a pace that suits their individual learning requirements.
- Upon successful completion of the course, students receive the Level II Certificate in Bookkeeping - an industry-recognised qualification accredited by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers.
- Students who successfully complete the course and gain the full Level II qualification also have the option to upgrade their level of membership to Affiliate Member of ICB, and to be awarded the designatory letters, AfICB.
Salary range chart
Career path Chart
- Understand the importance of adhering to a code of Professional Ethics
- Understand the basic differences between the structures of different types of businesses
- Understand the importance of legislation that applies to bookkeepers
- Understand the basic elements of a contract
- Understand the Accounting Equation
- Understand the concept of reporting on a cash basis for income tax purposes
- Identify the various methods of payments and receipts to and from a bank account
- Understand the need for bank security
- Understand the basic accounting concepts
- Understand the purpose and range of business documents.
- Understand the need to accurately prepare business documents for goods supplied
- Understand the need to check business documents received
- Understand the purpose of, and make entries into, the ledger accounts
- Use a set of control accounts in the ledgers
- Understand the purpose of, and make entries into, the books of prime entry
- Understand the process of dealing with and accounting for VAT in the ledgers.
- Understand the use of an analysed cash book
- Understand the purpose and need to record petty cash
- Understand the purpose and use of the two and three column cash books
- Understand the purpose and use of the trial balance.
- Health and Safety
- Business Set Up
- Processing Nominal Ledger and Subsidiary Ledger Accounts
- Generate reports
|2 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Free Disk space|
|5 GB Free Space Required|
|Min. Screen Resolution|
|1024 x 768|
|Internet Explorer 10 or above
CompatibilityWindows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android
Other infoThe Sage Instant software associated with this course runs only on windows.